Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports (PBIS) is a framework that helps schools organize evidence-based behavioral strategies into an integrated system. This integrated system enhances academic and social behavior outcomes for all students.
The Arkansas Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports training modules were funded through the Arkansas State Personnel Development Grant and developed in collaboration with PBIS trainers, consultants from the Center for Community Engagement (CCE) at Arkansas State University, and content specialists from the Division of Elementary and Secondary Education.
The Arkansas PBIS Training Modules were developed to support districts and schools in Arkansas that are interested in PBIS implementation. The modules can serve multiple purposes:
- Exploration: Learn more about Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Training of Trainers and Coaches: Ensuring sustainability by increasing local fluency in PBIS implementation
- Initial Training: After exploring PBIS, begin the schoolwide implementation process
- Booster Training: Once implemented, use the training modules as go-to resources for strengthening PBIS implementation
What materials are included with each training module?
- PowerPoint Presentations: Ready-made presentations, complete with trainer notes; can be used as-is with the flexibility of adding local context
- Facilitator’s Guides: Additional detailed notes (slide by slide), resources, activity suggestions, handouts, homework suggestions, and general information for preparing to present the module
What is the significance of the module numbers? Do they need to be used in that order?
The PBIS framework consists of several major components, with three tiers or levels of support. The modules contain information on how to build these components.
Those new to PBIS should begin with Tier I Module 1, which is an overview and explanation of the philosophy of PBIS. The facilitator guides that accompany the modules contain suggested prerequisites and suggestions for which module to explore next. In addition to the major components, there are modules on special topics to help districts and schools improve the fidelity of implementation.